Friday, October 11, 2013

Extra Credit Bonus: Would You Like Some Cheese to Go with That?

There are days when I understand teacher bashing; I really do.  Take yesterday for instance.

Last night, I remembered to turn on my phone.  It had been off for 36 hours.  (Yes, this happens to me rather a lot.)  There are three messages on it from a fellow itinerant music teacher.  Can I possibly switch some classes with her?  She claims it'll be an easy switch; we are at the same school on the same day.

Turns out this teacher is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. She read the schedule wrong and we are at the same school on different days.  (Okay, what should I expect from a person who leaves a voicemail message and then forgets to hang up the phone?)  But still she seems desperate to switch.

Why?  Because she wants to teach second and third grade exclusively and have only two classes to prepare.  Seriously?!  You selfish little *bleep*!!  You want to rearrange everyone else's life just so you don't have to work as hard.  And you're trying to convince the person with 14 different classes to prep to accommodate your lazy ass!

No, I think not honey.  Too bad you only have one section of 5th grade.  I'm in the same boat, and you don't hear me whining.  Get the work done and stop trying to weasel your way out of it.  (She was obviously going to attempt the same routine with another teacher who also works at the same school on a different day than her.)  All the teachers I've ever known, elementary and secondary, have at least five different preps.  And they meet with their classes every single day, not just once a week like we do.

Good grief!  If this were the only instance of crybaby teacher moaning, I'd shrug it off.  Sad it's not.  Far, far from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment