Friday, March 21, 2014

Polishing the Crystal Ball

I am cutting edge, and believe you me, I ain't proud of it.  Music teaching jobs are being outsourced right, left and center around here.  Instead of hiring another teacher, districts farm out music education to a private company.  Said private company hires a team of teachers, provides them with lessons and materials, and sets them loose as traveling minstrels.

Let me tell you it's a shitty way to live.  The hourly rate looks good on paper, but the reality is they give you very few teaching hours.  Granted, I don't pull recess or car line duty, but I also only get paid for when I teach.  (Breaks and traveling between campuses is not compensated.)  There are no benefits, let alone job security.  And, yes, I still have to go to staff meetings.  And, yes, said staff meeting are so fatuous as to defy description.  ("If a student is misbehaving, you should not look him because it'll put him on the spot and make him feel bad.")

But mark my words, this is the wave of the future.  There are companies (also non-profit) that provide instruction in art, P.E., and even science.  Before too long, I'll bet ones will spring up for social studies, computers, foreign language, and math.  Or maybe they have already. 

Soon school districts won't hire teachers anymore.  They will contract with these companies to provide all student instruction.

Teachers:  The new call-center worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment