Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Update: In the Beginning...

That little boy I wrote about last week?  He is indeed fulfilling his destiny.

I was early to class today, the first graders were still doing their morning meeting.  Except it was being punctuated by the loud squeaking of rubber on metal.  The little boy was rubbing his shoe on a chair leg, wearing a huge grin on his face.

I scowled at him as his teacher ordered him to stop.  His grin grew wider.  She then tried to physically drag him away from the chair.  She was moderately successful; the boy ran out of the room into the rain, saying, "I'm going to go get wet now."  Leaving her class with a sing-along recording, she called the office to request help and then monitored the boy (presumably to make sure he didn't run off campus).

The principal came down, dragging the boy with him into the room.  The kid promptly escaped into the rain, and the principal dragged him back.  There were words, but none were particularly effective, as the rubber on metal squeaking resumed again, along with the "you can't make me" grin.  I think they all left the room for awhile, but am not certain, as I gathered up the other students to start music class. 

When I left, the boy was back.  Not squeaking, but trying to turn over a desk.

I'm so glad not to be that kid's classroom teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment